December 17, 2012

December challenge painting - "Old Age"

Self portrait with Sammy
Oil on panel  6" x 8"

This month's challenge is particularly apropos, as I am turning 60 in two weeks.  To all my friends who have blown by this milestone years ago and scoff, I say - "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to." (and I'm old enough to have heard Leslie Gore sing that song on the radio.)  Actually, I have more or less come to grips with 60.  Although I haven't done nearly enough with my life and my art, my friends in their 70's and 80's give me hope that I still have time to change that.  I am looking forward to a new year full of promise.

I am taking a sabbatical from the challenge group for a while.  It has been I great experience brain storming with these talented artists and I am going to miss them.  Here is their take on old age:

"Contrasts of Life"
Original framed oil 8"x10"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin
 "Mary and Delys in Salzberg" 
Pastel on sanded paper  20"x16" 
©2012 Vicki Ross

5 comments:

martinealison said...

Je vous souhaite un joyeux anniversaire... Une bien jolie peinture pour illustrer cet évènement... suivie de belles autres oeuvres.

« …Soyons plein de gratitude et de reconnaissance pour cette vie qui nous est offerte et qui nous montre qu’il est toujours possible de garder le sourire pour traverser les épreuves, de faire de sa vie un bel écrin d’amour… Que Noël soit chargé de sens et de douceur… »
Avec de gros bisous,

Martine Alison

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I like this self-portrait you did very much, Mark. We will miss you for the Challenge in the coming months!

Wishing you and yours blessings in 2013 and happy painting to you.

Anonymous said...

Will you still be sending me a Valentine, Birthday greetings, bottle of wine [or should I say island of geese vatted SM scotch]?

Ah wisdom it is wasted on the old?

glad yenjoying another way of looking at the Hobbit. see you next week

Love Mike and Peg

Anonymous said...

...Can you imagine us years from today,
Sharing a park bench quietly
How terribly strange to be seventy

..., memory brushes the same years,
Silently sharing the same fears

Time it was and what a time it was,
A time of innocence, a time of confidences,
Long ago it must be,
I have a photograph,
Preserve your memories,
They’re all that’s left you see...
glad you are still enjoying another way of looking at the Hobbit. Love Mike and Peg [the Brown Wizard]



Unknown said...

I really enjoyed looking thru your blog and your website. My first time here. By the way, I thought you were the younger version of you when I first saw the photo. You looked like Peter Sarsgaard at first in that photo. Thought the self portrait was your father upon glancing at it. Nice work, I'll be back.