August 27, 2013

Today's Tuesday Tip - "The Masters" Brush Cleaner and Preserver


For years I've been using this stuff  to clean my brushes.  I blush to admit that more than once I have let my wet brushes sit longer than I should and have had to work doubly hard to bring them back to life.  This product is a Godsend to absent-minded or just plain lazy artists.  You can also leave it on as a final shaping aid to re-point those fine sables.  According to "The Masters" Brush Cleaner and Preserver website: "Just wet the brush and work up a lather on the hard cake. Even old, hardened oil paint brushes can be restored to their original snap and luster. Brush Cleaner and Preserver works on most acrylics and watercolors, too. It gives off no harmful fumes or odors, and it's safe for use in the classroom or studio."  

I'm not so sure about their claim that it can remove "old, hardened paint," but it certainly works on brushes that have been drying for a day or two.  The photo above is a container that I have had for over 15 years (!) so don't let the price stop you since it seems to last forever.  It also comes in smaller 2 5/8 oz cakes for about 5 bucks.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your blog...I just found you today, and read all your posts back to August 2012. You have such a comfortable, conversational style. Thanks for all the great tips and musings. Your paintings are wonderful, especially the animal portraits, and your self portraits. Thank you, and keep up the great work!

Mark Adams said...

I have fallen off the blog wagon lately but your comments have inspired me to start posting again. Without feedback like yours, I feel like I'm wasting my time doing this. Thanks for the kind words, Nathalie. It's nice to know people are looking.

Elaine said...

I haven't seen that brush cleaner for a long time brings back ,memories ....

Diane Hoeptner said...

I just started using this product and I agree, it is awesome!! (Love the oyster painting, more please.)

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Diane. More coming, I promise.