September 11, 2013

"Oysters at the Hon Bar"

"Oysters at the Hon Bar"  Oil on panel  5" x 5"  2013

Jonathan Swift said: “He was a bold man that first ate an oyster.”  True enough, and I thank him and his bravery, for he paved the way for a life time of enjoyment and fascination with these delicious creatures.  Actually, it was my father who introduced me to oysters.  Dad worked for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company and was a Legionnaire as well.    It seemed to me growing up that, between September and April, he was always going to some sort of Bull and Oyster Roast.  I remember vividly the day he handed me a rough shell with this slimy grey glob and bade me try it.  At 10 years of age, I was up to the challenge, but with little guidance I just let it slip down without chewing and the whole culinary experience was lost on me.  "Like having a bad cold" was probably my response.  At 60, I have bushels under my belt. (Sadly, this is a literal statement.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I see them and bring me such good memories of my childhood .i grow up in a seaport and learned to eat from being a girl, ummmm they look so real that makes you want to eat them

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Mayra

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Une peinture extraordinaire !
Mon ami adore encore plus que moi les huîtres. C'est un normand qui en a reçu dans son biberon ! Il les déguste nature (déguster serait un grand mot vu le nombre qu'il engloutit !!)...
Chez moi on les déguste arrosées de vinaigre aux échalotes...
cependant le petit trait de citron est excellent... dans votre peinture aussi, il est merveilleusement bien reproduit.

Gros bisous

Mark Adams said...

Merci beaucoup, Martine!