March 5, 2014

"Puss in Boots"


Oil on museum quality ampersand gessobord panel
2014
8" x 10"
 Last Wednesday I spent the entire day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.  To say that I was invigorated would be an understatement.  Room after room, gallery after gallery of paintings from art history were there before my eyes.  Captivated by the bravado brushwork of artists whose work I thought I knew so well, I brought home to the studio a clear vision and renewed desire to splash around and show the paint like never before.  Today's painting gave me the opportunity to do just that. The subject is a marble figure of Puss in Boots, part of a monument to the author Charles Perrault located in Paris in the Tuileries Gardens. It was late autumn when this reference was taken and the bare ground and sparse greenery allowed for some fun brushwork behind the statue.  I hinted at a small carousel that was in the background for a bit of needed color.

2 comments:

Sue Harrell said...

Beautiful painting - charming subject.

I'm so delighted to have found your blog. I've spent a good part of this morning scrolling through your past posts. I'm reluctantly leaving, but plan to return so I can see all your daily paintings.

Thank you for posting your work!

Mark Adams said...

Thank you, Sue. That is so sweet.